Certificate – Principles of Biobanking
IBBL (Integrated Biobank of Luxembourg) joined forces with the University of Luxembourg Competence Centre to organise the 5th edition of the university certification in Biobanking.
The course is delivered by experts in the field and it combines environmental and clinical principles of biobanking into a unique transdisciplinary university certificate covering all technical, scientific and ethical/legal aspects. Its format takes place over three weeks at Kirchberg campus, right at the heart of Luxembourg City. The training will take place in June / July 2021.
Biobank managers, biobank auditors, biobank technicians, ethics committee members, clinical researchers, pathologists, and environmental collection curators.
Participants will be able to master theoretical, operational and practical skills required to facilitate the activities of existing biobanks and assist in the creation of new ones. The course encourages the exchange of knowledge and skills across different thematic groups involved in biospecimen conservation, storage, science and research. Networking events will also be an opportunity to learn and exchange experiences.
The curriculum is based on notions from different types of biobanks and biorepositories – clinical, human, plant, microbial and environmental.
Participants will tackle 16 different modules and the curriculum includes site visits and practical demonstrations at IBBL. Tutorial-based discussions on the development of a Quality Assurance document (process flow, procedure, SOP), process analysis, the identification of quality indicators and the analysis of an SOP will also be included in the agenda.
The training will take place in June / July 2021 in Luxembourg.
The Certificate in Biobanking fee is 2750 € (+3% TVA)
Lectures, training material, a field trip to IBBL, as well as a networking dinner are included in the course fees.
The University of Luxembourg Competence Centre can assist participants in finding a room in the Residency Hall at the University if necessary. For all information (on costs & location), please contact the Competence Centre.
After the course participants will be able to :
- Understand in depth the common principles of practical biobanking
- Put different types of biobanks in context and draw conclusions regarding the theoretical basis of their operations
- Apply the scientific basis of biobanking/biospecimen research in Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) development and implementation and in research exploitation of samples
- Question the logistical, practical and technical steps of biobanking, and evaluate their coherence and adequacy
- Compare different reports on biobank risk management and mitigation
- Develop Best Practices/Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Validate biobank protocols, training and technology transfers
- Analyse biobank Quality Management Systems (QMS) and the principles of certification, quality assurance and 3rd party ISO accreditation
- Master the regulatory, legal and ethical aspects of biobanking
- Produce biobank cost analysis and recovery reports
Participants will produce an essay which will be submitted in September as a final evaluation. This will allow them to explore a topic of choice and of interest to their organisation. The successful completion of the course will result in a 10 ECTS certificate delivered by the University of Luxembourg.
Participants must meet the below requirements in order to enroll in the programme:
- Have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent and have a background in biobanking
- Demonstrate a good knowledge of English
All applications must be submitted via the University of Luxembourg registration platform.
As available places are limited, the final selection is carried out by a committee of representatives of both IBBL and the University of Luxembourg.
The Competence Center reserves the right to cancel the training if a minimum number of participants cannot be reached.
+352 26 15 92 20
Dr Fay Betsou, Chief Scientific Officer